Weird dreams are not uncommon with me. I am probably not a sound sleeper, so I get some very interesting and movie-like dreams. I can very well believe how James Cameron got his entire concept of 'Avatar' from a dream, because my dreams are sometimes that way too, if not an Avatar then at least an 'Independence Day', a funny version of it so to speak.
So I decided to start recording my most interesting dreams on paper. And this is the first in the series of my 'Dream Chronicles' as I call it.
As I drifted into the REM stage of my sleep yesterday night, my weird dream began. I was somewhere on the 'West Coast' of the United States. It was a lovely tourist spot that I was visiting with a couple of friends. The place was supposedly famous for its magical effect. It was like the top of a small hill, sloping on all sides. I was on the top. The beauty of the place was its view. If I turned the angle at which I stood by a few degrees, I could see a new view in the sky, a new colorful view. This was like a large-scale 3D hologram. I stood straight and I could see tall buildings right up in the sky. The moment I turned, I saw a huge desert in the sky. Then I saw some colorful pillars. I was mesmerized by this magic that I had never known of before.
We proceeded to the next interesting location in this magic land. It was a series of caves. Now, the scariness started. The caves were full of bats, ferocious huge bats whose bites were apparently fatal. We were instructed by the tour guide to run for our lives whenever we heard bats coming our way. And we were told that in case we realized the bats were too near, we were to sit down in the 'brace position' (I'm sure I have watched too many episodes of Air Crash Investigations). So we braced ourselves to simply enter the scary and dark cave. We started feeling our way inside and then we heard them- the flutterings of bats. We turned around and ran for our lives, everyone braced, so did I. But as luck would have it, a bat swooped down right on me and bit me hard on my hand. :(
I was stumped. I was shattered. Why me? Everyone else escaped except me. I was quickly guided out of the cave into the attending physician's office,where she told me that if I had indeed been bitten and injected with the poisonous venom, then I would have lost sensation in my hand. She then proceeded to test me. She took a pin and pricked my skin, but, I felt nothing. The ugly truth dawned on me, I had been bitten after all. :(
Now the most ridiculous part of my dream arrived, the kind of thing that makes you cry in the dream but makes you laugh hard after you wake up. So, after concluding that I had indeed lost sensation in my hand, I was immediately put on a stretcher and rushed to the operating room to.......no, not to operate on me but to take samples of my tissues!! They simply took a sample of my tissues and rushed the samples-instead of me- for testing!!
The samples of my tissues were put in an enclosed testtube, put in a box, sealed, marked with 'Most Urgent' and couriered away through Express Delivery. And (the hilarious part) the 'special' delivery van was attached with flashing lights and sirens and flew out of the place at top speed blaring its sirens and flashing its lights, carrying my tissue samples.
And I sat in my own car and followed the van carrying my tissue samples. On the way everyone gave way to the tissue van seeing its flashing lights but seeing that my car was not stopping for the van and instead was following it, the people on the roads thought I was a mean, cheap girl taking advantage of the clear traffic and they stopped my car (you might think they stopped to pull me out in pure Indian style) but all they did was stopped my car and everyone started honking at me. :P I was humiliated by this incident and lost my poor van too. (Although I can't figure out why a big van couldn't carry the owner of the tissues as well.)
Then after a long wait at my friend's place, I got a phone call from the hospital that they had prescribed me some really strong drugs that I needed to take immediately if I wanted to survive. But they were shipping the drugs to my friend's place since it was the closest. And I then started tracking the courier that was bringing my drugs and I realized that the drugs weren't reaching my friend's place until the next day. I was surely going to die by then.
Then I just happened to look down at my hand and I realized that it was white and peeling. I immediately went on wikipedia (good old wiki) and found that peeling white skin is an indication that bat poison is reaching the heart. I had to take the drugs immediately. I rushed to the drug store and remembered that I did not know the names of the drugs. By then the day ended. And I remembered the last thing I wanted, to add to my troubles. That I was supposed to be flying to India that night and I would not be able to receive the drugs on time. I was going to die after all.
That's when I (gladly) opened my eyes and realized the height of absurdity in the dream. But I still had the image of my white and peeling hand stuck in me. I thought to myself "This is not going to be a good day" when I remembered the ambulance carrying my tissues. And I burst out laughing. Even the big scare around my death started seeming funny.
I guess this is how dreams are- funny, weird, absurd and....downright pointless. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment